Friday, May 9, 2008

Fire Drill

Imagine your smoke detectors waking you up in the middle of the night.   Imagine that it happens often enough that you actually know that the alarms are only kidding about the smoke. Our system is new enough that all the detectors are connected and when one is triggered, all are triggered.   The one in the basement is disabled all winter because it goes off mercilessly at 2 am for days on end.  See,they beep just long enough to wake you and then shut off.  Then just as you are going back to sleep they get you up again.  Needless to say, last night we had a "fire drill."  I know we should have regular fire drills and practice leaving and all that-I just don't want to practice at 3 am.  

DH went to the basement to grab the offending alarm last night.  I lay in bed hoping it would all just end.  As he was coming back up the stairs (detector in hand) the alarm went off again.  He ran in BL's room and pulled that one clean off the ceiling.   He was reaching for the one in the upstairs hall when he asked me to get the one in BC's room.  I pulled myself up on the end of the bunk bed so that I wouldn't need a stool and got hit in the head by the ceiling fan.  I ended up holding my head (well my left ear really) instead of grabbing the alarm.    Suddenly all went quiet, and I got down.  

The whole time I kept thinking, "how can the boys be sleeping through all of this?"  I hear a little voice break the silence with "Mommy, potty." So awake, wishing I was asleep, I take BC potty at 2 :10 am.   After he is back in bed I am wondering about BL.  We were in the hallway waiting for the fire drill to continue and I hear him in his room just jabbering to himself.  It was almost time for him to be getting up anyway so I went in and fed him.  Somewhat convinced that we had disabled all the offending detectors we went back to bed.

DH went to sleep after about 45 minutes.  I lay awake until 4:30 when BL woke up again (I don't like it but this is normal).  I thought that if I brought him to bed the nursing might relax me enough to let me go back to sleep.  

I heard the birds chirping when I got back to bed, and so didn't go to sleep until 5:00.  In comes BC at 6:30-so much for a good night's rest.  

I have a bruise on my ear.  I have stuff to do today so that I can have the day off tomorrow.  DH has the day off too.  He went shooting this morning and will be back this afternoon to write a presentation he needs for tomorrow morning.   I need to do laundry, check to make sure any shopping can wait until Monday, call my sitter for BL so that we can plan to hook up, etc. and all I can think about is how much I want to go back to bed.

1 comment:

Brumbaugh Family said...

I think that the celling fan would have come down along with the smoke detectors.