Tuesday, June 17, 2008

SMUT

I was driving back from the zoo a couple of weeks ago and had to stop at the light by Shotgun Willie's.  For those of you unfamiliar with this establishment, the sign reads, "SHOW CLUB" and the building has no windows.  I was looking at the building and contemplating why it had a covered "loading zone" area.  I happened to notice on the concrete foundation for the aerial sign someone had scrawled, "SMUT" in runny black Krylon.

There's nothing like calling a spade a spade.  When I drove by today I saw someone else had painted over the graffiti.   

If all the distractions in life were so clearly marked, maybe we could stay away more easily.  I know that as we try to leave indications for those who come after of the dangers that lurk, Satan is there obscuring our best and most feeble attempts to warn others.

I appreciate this (not so) free (anymore) country I live in.  I  know that to be free we must have the right to choose SMUT.  I also have the right to warn others (maybe just not in Krylon).  

Anybody got a SHARPIE?



For a satirical look at SMUT (and free speech in general) check out Tom Lehrer's song Smut, but not at iTunes because it's not there.


No comments: