Saturday, May 9, 2009

Subcapul hematoma

You and I usually call it a "goose egg."  It's the best kind of hematoma to have.  This picture does not do it true justice.  I took this photo about 22 hours after Blanket fell off a chair and bonked his head on the step. It looks about 90% better than it did 30 minutes after it happened.
In the 5 seconds between when it happened and when I picked him up it had ballooned to something the size of a 3 quarters stacked on top of one another.  I basically ran and put him in the car while I am screaming at Tiger to just get in the car so we can go.  It was 4 o'clock and that means "rush hour" traffic around here.  It took me 10 minutes of speeding to get to the urgent care.  Blanket stopped crying about halfway there and I got scared that he had passed out.  I was a little too emotional to have been driving.  We got there just fine and I was so relieved to see him happily awake in his car seat when I went to get him out.  He totally acted as though nothing was wrong despite the now golf-ball sized bump on his forehead.
He played happily in the waiting room while I freak out filling out the paperwork and forget the date.  I'm sure he had a headache, but didn't want anything to do with the ice pack they gave him.  That's so his personality.  Really, Mom, I'm fine.  
Then yesterday,  I was carrying him at the park when I sprained my ankle.  He got lucky and I dropped him over the concrete curb and into the wood chips.  His face is covered in lots of tiny scratches.  Again,  just fine 5 minutes later.  
Some days I wish my Tiger was as calm and collected as his brother.  Maybe I should be happy he isn't: it helps me appreciate Blanket's emotional range all the more.

3 comments:

* said...

Big falls. Small kids. The two should be like oil and water but instead they go together like peanut butter and jelly. Sorry -- hope he heals quickly. We've only had 1 ambulance trip to the ER out of our 4 little kids, but our fingers are crossed, not sure what tomorrow (or the next minute) will bring!
Btw, found you on Mormon Mommy blogs.

http://thechocolatechipwaffle.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

Sorry to hear he got hurt, and that you got hurt! Hope you're both doing better.

Joanna said...

Oh no - what an awful week! I hope things get better! BTW - the sausage rolls...you can make them yourself, so easy peasy:) Let me know if you want to know how - I actually have pictures I can email you of the whole process, start to end! They really are to DIE for :)