Friday, November 27, 2020

Being Thankful

 So, yesterday was Thanksgiving.  It was also Blanket's 13th birthday. It was also quite memorable.  

This year I have been reading so many things people are thankful for and contemplating the things for which I, too, am grateful.  I was also thinking about what Thanksgiving is all about. The original gathering on which we base our current celebrations was about well-established people helping the newly arrived to survive, thrive and prosper.  It is about being grateful to the ones who came before us who make our lives possible, easier, or more full. It's about those who share because they have, and we have not.  It is a celebration designed not in solitude, but in gathering.  Whether we gather as families, friends, or in spirit with those who make us who we are and help us along the way, Thanksgiving is about appreciating that none of us are alone and we all need help one way or another. I am grateful for those that came before me and helped me along in any way.

Monday we had a tire go flat on our truck in our driveway.  Tuesday we spent much of the day trying to find somewhere to get it fixed.  We even drove several miles to have it looked at.  They "fixed" it and we made it home.  Wednesday it was flat again.  BAR went about fixing it for real and did so: it held air overnight.  On Thursday we headed across town to our friends' house where we celebrate the holiday.  When we were most of the way there, the tire went flat again (on the freeway). We called and said we had a flat.  They sent their son to pick us up so we could get the food there and get the kids there.  While BAR was jacking the truck up so we could put on the spare it fell off the jack because of the slight incline we were on.  I found 2 large pieces of wood in the forest just over the guardrail and was able to block the trucks wheels  so we could put the spare on.  We were able to get the tire back on and the truck working again just before our ride arrived.  We made it to our friends' safely.  I'm thankful for motive transportation.  I'm thankful for a husband who is great at repair and willingly changes a flat on the freeway on a huge truck.  I'm grateful for large pieces of wood being stuck in the grass right where I needed them to be. I'm grateful for friends willing to come rescue us in a moment of need.

We (and our dog) had dinner with our friends and their dog. It was largely uneventful (no food fight this year).  We commented how enjoyable the food is when you get to eat all the things you enjoy, but you only have to cook the ones that you like to cook (we always split the cooking).  I'm grateful for good food, good friends, and only cooking half the dinner.

Thursday was Blanket's birthday and so we had cake and ice cream for dessert. He is such a good sport about having his birthday on Thanksgiving and getting to share the festivities with others.  Of all my kids, he's the one who would think overeating would be a great way to celebrate his birthday.  I'm grateful for my son and his love of playing games.  I'm thankful he's mine.  

We had pie (after the cake) and played with the dogs.  We cleaned up a little and chatted a lot.  We came home just as it was getting dark.  I'm grateful for a warm home and electric lights.  

An hour or so after we came home Blanket told me he had caused the toilet to overflow: water all over the floor, etc.  He knows how to plunge a toilet (he gets lots of practice because he clogs it regularly).  So I asked him if he had tried to unclog it, he assured me that he had.  He and I set about turning off the water to the toilet, removing water from the toilet, cleaning the floor etc.  Then I tried plunging it.  It would not clear.  We cleaned and plunged for more than 30 minutes.  Then we called in BAR.  He was sure we were just not trying hard enough.  He plunged and tried different tools and ideas for another 30-40 minutes to no avail.  The toilet was still seriously plugged.  I solicited my circle of people for a pipe snake and was rewarded with several offers.  Pipe snake in hand, I was sure I could fix the offending porcelain appliance. After 40 minutes with the tool I had made the water flow acceptably well.  My arms were exhausted from all the pushing, pulling, twisting, wringing and wiping.  Blanket was made to wipe all the tools, clean the bathroom and wash the pile of dirty rags (on his birthday!!!).  I showered knowing that tomorrow would be another day where I could find the energy to finish the job.  I'm grateful for indoor plumbing, and waterproof tile floors. Washing machines, hot water, showers, the right tool, and helpful friends are also things I am indeed thankful for. I'm grateful for tomorrows and second chances.

We ended the day sending the kids to bed late, watching 1/2 a movie and going to bed.  I'm thankful for warm beds, electric blankets and soft things to sleep on.

Despite the insanity of the day, I felt calm and truly relaxed and grateful through all of the trials and blessings.  I never felt trapped, or stuck.  I think my attitude of gratitude helped me see the way through the trial (not to avoid or change them) and appreciate what I did have.

End note:  Today I spent 20 more minutes with the snake, the toilet, and the plunger. Now the toilet flushes like new. Blanket even came and pretended to bow down to me when he saw the magic I had worked in his lavatory.  Apparently, I can work miracles (and I'm grateful for that too).

I'm also grateful for my cat, but he gets a post all his own.

No comments: